Our Moving Forward Volunteers help us deliver our vital Moving Forward courses that help women approach life after breast cancer treatment with confidence.
There are a number of different things that volunteers can help with at Moving Forward Services. The list below is not exhaustive but outlines the majority of the tasks. You would not necessarily be expected to carry out all of the tasks at every Moving Forward service.
- Assisting in setting up and clearing away at the beginning and end of the event
- Meeting and greeting participants on arrival and making them feel welcome
- Helping with provision of refreshments
- Talking briefly about your role as a Breast Cancer Care volunteer/or Breast Cancer Care services
- Talking briefly about your personal experience of breast cancer
- Talking to participants during breaks
- Offering support to participants if they become upset or need to leave the room.
- Signposting participants to Breast Cancer Care’s other services where appropriate (or other local services if relevant)
What we look for in a volunteer?
- To become a Moving Forward Volunteer you need to have had a personal diagnosis of primary breast cancer (and be at least one year post diagnosis)
- You will need to be a confident and skilled communicator.
- We are looking for volunteers who are good listeners and are both non-judgemental and non-directive.
- We also need people who understand the importance of confidentiality.
- You may have knowledge of local breast cancer support networks which could be of added benefit to the participants at the events.
- You will need to attend a Welcome Workshop induction day and role specific training which will be at our regional offices in Sheffield.
- A commitment to working within Breast Cancer Care’s policies and guidelines, including respect for client confidentiality and equal opportunities
- The Services Development team will be responsible for managing and supporting you on a day to day basis which will include guidance and instruction particular to this role. The regional Volunteer Manager will also offer additional support if required.
- Breast Cancer Care will refund all expenses incurred in travelling for this role
- You must be over 18 years of age