Chesterfield Museum Service is run by Chesterfield Borough Council. We tell the story of the town and local area through real objects, and we preserve them for the future. We believe that Chesterfield’s heritage is about and for everyone and we want people from all walks of life to be involved in and benefit from the heritage.
Volunteering is an excellent way of involving people in their heritage and that heritage is enriched by volunteers’ contribution. Volunteering is enjoyable and life-enhancing for the volunteer, who can also develop transferable skills that may lead to employment.
Be a voice for Chesterfield Museum and spreading the word in the community about its work.
As a Museum Ambassador you would be involved in:
- Research and contact local community groups and organisations.
- Prepare short talks about what the museum does.
- Raise the museum’s profile by visiting local groups to deliver talks.
- Come up with new ideas to promote the museum within the community.
- Distribute Chesterfield Museum promotional leaflets and posters in the local area.
- Explore opportunities for fund raising to support the work of the museum.
This is a brand new role, so we don’t know what the extent of local demand will be. We expect that preparation would take place during the working day with visits to groups on weekday evenings. Talks will take 10-15 minutes
Local volunteers are the best advocates that we could have in promoting the museum within the community. Without the interest and support of its community no museum can flourish.
You will get from us; an opportunity to share your enthusiasm for the museum with others; a chance to learn new skills; the help, support and any training you will need to carry out this role.
This task would be best suited to someone who has their own transport. Travel expenses will be paid. Any printed materials (eg advertising leaflets) will be provided.